Friday, March 21, 2008

Trivia: Ayn Rand and architect Ely Jacques Kahn

Ayn Rand worked for six months in 1937 as a typist and filing clerk for the firm of architect Ely Jacques Kahn. She wasn't there to make ends meet, but rather to do research for The Fountainhead novel. The firm was located at 2 Park Ave between 32nd and 33rd Sts.
Source: Time Out New York January 31-February 6, 2008 Issue 644

As some of you may or may not know, I live in New York City, not far from where all this happened. And to be honest, I hate New York. I want to get one of those I ♥ NY shirts and do some t-shirt surgery on it, to make it say I HATE NY, or something. There's a design in the Generation T book that demonstrates ripping the heart of of an ex's old t-shirt or something. That's what I would like to do to one of those I ♥ NY shirts. There's also a threadless spoof:

Photobucket
Well anyway as I was saying I really hate New York. I'm just here because of school, and once I graduate I plan to get the hell out.

The first time I visited New York, I was blown away, and thought it was the perfect place to live (and apparently so was Ayn Rand when she stepped off the boat). But after living here for a while I don't think so anymore. It's dirty, polluted, unsafe (been robbed at gunpoint), unfriendly, crowded, everything a livable city shouldn't be. Though I see why Ayn Rand would have loved it, hmmmm... (points at hideous modernist superskyscrapers, smokestacks and...rude, selfish people).

It might be because I haven't been here that long, and it takes a while to get used to any city, and I probably will get used to it, eventually. But I hope I never get too used to it and become a "real" New Yorker, because that would be horrible. Of course it is exciting to feel like you're in the center of the world, where so much is happening and has happened, and pretty much IS the center of the world in so many ways, but even that cannot make up for the fact that New York is pretty damn inhospitable to normal human life.

You guys who wanted more posts full of Meggy goodness were lucky I made this post. I wasn't thinking of posting, but I was cleaning my room and found the Time Out magazine and remembered I made a note of wanting to post this trivia. I don't know, I'm a busy woman and I realized that posting to a blog on the internet isn't a particularly high priority for me. Also, it's getting kind of old. I woke up and I was like, damn, Ayn Rand and her cult no longer have even an iota of romance or allure to me any more, not even in a sardonic sense. It's been fun, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is the PROOF - the PROOF, I say! -- that Ayn Rand worked for Ely Jacques Kahn???